The University of Nebraska–Lincoln College of Journalism and Mass Communications is hosting the Mobile Me & You Conference Oct. 28-30 in Lincoln, Nebraska.
One of the largest gatherings of digital and mobile media experts is coming to University of Nebraska–Lincoln. The conference is free. Mobile Me & You is bringing 20 notable speakers to campus from organizations such as Berkshire Hathaway Media, The Washington Post, Univision, Al Jazeera, CNN, Pew Research Center, NBC News Digital Group and the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria. The conference will focus on mobile media best practices and is a conference for professionals, academics and students in any discipline. It’s about everyday people using mobile tools to solve problems and participate in conversations.
The conference is funded by a generous grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
“We have an amazing opportunity to talk with these mobile media industry leaders about the problems they face in their organizations as media move to a mobile-first model,” conference organizer Gary Kebbel said. “These are problems industry leaders face every day, while we, as faculty, are trying to figure out how to teach students how to operate in this mobile-first world.”
Leaders in mobile media will be speaking at the conference, both individually and in panel discussions.
Speaker presentations include:
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln Drone Journalism Lab founder Matt Waite will discuss the importance of drones and sensors to gather and publish data
- United States Misson, Nigeria, Information Resource Specialist Joseph Adah will highlight the importance of mobile in Africa and undeveloped countries
- BH Media Group Corporate Director of Digital Development Jeff Carney will present on how Berkshire Hathaway’s scores of newspapers think about mobile
- Pew Research Center Senior Researcher and author of “U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015” Aaron Smith will report the latest mobile research from Pew Research Center
- NBC News Digital Group’s Breaking News Full-Stack Web Developer Andy Boyle will offer insight into how NBC’s Breaking News app uses geolocation to keep its audience informed
- Univision Vice President of Strategic Communications José Zamora will discuss why mobile is so important to its audience
Panel discussion topics include how to monetize mobile with new businesses, tips for using phones and tablets to gather information, going mobile first to reach the unreached audience and best practices for investigative reporting and mobile media.
Representatives from international media organizations will also be presenting case studies, which include: Mobile Project Manager Emily Ingram presenting on the Washington Post, Executive Producer David Cohn on Al Jazeera and Senior Manager for Mobile Initiatives Damon Kiesow on McClatchy Newspapers. For a complete list of speakers and bios, visit Mobile Me & You.
For more information on the Mobile Me & You Conference and to register, visit the official website, Mobile Me & You which was created by Cody Elmore, a former manager of Red Thread and a CoJMC advertising alumnus. Red Thread is an advertising agency founded and operated by CoJMC alumni and students.