A Big Ten graduate certificate in Public Relations and Social Media will help you build your skills on new communications platforms all while advancing your career and making you more valuable in your workplace. This certificate is completely online, and requires you to complete only four courses. If you decide to pursue a full Master of Arts degree after the certificate, you're already a third of the way there.
ADVERTISING ISSUES & STRATEGIESADPR 830
Dive into branding, current communications issues and develop a strategic marketing plan.
SOCIAL MEDIA THEORY & PRACTICEADPR 866
Study monitoring and management practices on the most popular social and mobile media platforms.
PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGEMENT & CASE STUDIESADPR 850
Discover critical perspectives and gain insight into the history and direction of public relations.
DIGITAL INSIGHTS & ANALYTICSADPR 834
Explore how various digital communication channels are used to analyze audiences and build brands.
Admissions Process & Requirements
Items Required by Office of Graduate Studies
- Online Application for Graduate Admission
- $50 non-refundable application processing fee
- One (1) set of official transcripts
- If your native language is not English: verification of English proficiency
- CoJMC requires minimum English proficiency: TOEFL Paper-600, Computer-250, Internet-100 or ILETS 6.5
- To send your TOEFL scores to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln use institution code 6877
- If you are not a US citizen and you expect to hold an F or J visa: financial resource information
Items Required by Journalism and Mass Communications in the online Graduate Application
After you begin your application, you will need to submit these departmental requirements:
- Statement of goals and objectives
Graduate students will be notified of their acceptance into the graduate certificate program in Journalism and Mass Communications from the Graduate Chair and receive a certificate of admission from the Graduate Admissions office.
Before First Semester
- Students should connect with their graduate program coordinator to discuss how best to complete the certificate
- Students should enroll in any one of the certificate courses in MyRed
- The College of Journalism and Mass Communications degree programs are built with your life in mind.
- Students are welcome to sample up to 6 credit hours of courses before they are formally admitted to the program. Sampled courses can count toward your degree as long as they fall within the program requirements as detailed in the graduate bulletin.
- Life happens! If students need to take a break in their program, they can. Students who don’t take classes in three consecutive sessions (fall, spring, summer) will be considered inactive. All you have to do to be reactivated is email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students have up to 5 consecutive calendar years to complete the program.
Start Preparing for Your Future
Provide your information and we'll send you what you need to know about earning a graduate degree at Nebraska.
If you have immediate questions, contact our graduate student services coordinator at 402-472-2055.
Applications for admission to the PR & Social Media graduate certificate are accepted on a rolling basis. Applications are considered on the fourth Friday of every month. Students will be notified of admissions committee decision shortly thereafter.
- 12 credit hours are required
- Courses can be taken in any order
- ADPR 830: Advertising Issues & Strategies
- ADPR 834: Digital Insights & Analytics
- ADPR 850: PR Theory & Strategy
- APDR 866: Social Media Theory & Practice
- No electives are required in this program