Nine students at the UNL College of Journalism and Mass Communications were recently chosen to serve on the CoJMC Student Editorial Board. The board launched in the spring 2022 semester and will oversee and manage student-created content on the Nebraska News Service, Nebraska Nightly, Unlimited Sports and 90.3 KRNU.
Additionally, the board elected CoJMC senior Nathan Hawkins to serve as board chair.
“I’m excited to step into this role as chairperson of the CoJMC Student Editorial Board,” Hawkins said. “I’ve seen firsthand the impact experiential learning can have on young journalists, and I know we’re just beginning to tap into the potential of what the Experience Lab can be. I’m excited to be part of that bright future.”
CoJMC senior Zach Wendling nominated Hawkins for the role.
"Nathan has always stood out to me in his dedication to his work and commitment to great content,” Wendling said. “His service in the Experience Lab is evident in all he does, and I have no doubt he'll lead us to success."
The board will regularly review the program websites and publishing platforms to ensure the quality of content layout, design and accessibility. Members will also propose and implement changes to the website to improve the quality and reach of content posted to the site. Members will establish and enforce publishing standards, propose new ideas and make decisions relating to the addition/deletion of pages and the addition of special features.
CoJMC Student Editorial Board members for the 2022-2023 academic year include:
- Managing editor/board chair - Nathan Hawkins, Bellevue, sports media and communication
- KRNU editors - Mark Thayer, Bellevue, broadcasting and Helen Howard, Lincoln, journalism
- Unlimited Sports editor - Sam Alessandro, Omaha, broadcasting and sports media and communication
- Nebraska Nightly editors - Marko Jerkovic, Lincoln, sports media and communication, and Lance Vie, Arlington, broadcasting
- Nebraska News Service editor - Hanna Christensen, Lincoln, journalism and psychology
- Nebraska News Service Regional editor - Lauren Penington, Parker, Colorado, journalism and political science
- Political editor - Zach Wendling, Lincoln, journalism and political science
Faculty liaisons including Ken Fischer, Rick Alloway, John Shrader and Jill Martin will serve as ex-officio members.