Emergency Scholarship

For life's curveballs
Emergency Funding

Apply Now
Student at Laptop

Sometimes life throws you a curveball, and you need a little extra help. The College of Journalism and Mass Communications has emergency funds available to help students facing unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances that threaten their progress toward a degree.

Emergency funding is available to help with both tuition and fees and life interruptions, like a car breakdown, broken laptop or needed prescription due to illness. To be eligible for emergency support, you must be an enrolled major in the College of Journalism and Mass Communications and have exhausted alternative university funding options. To discuss possible university resources, contact the Husker Hub.

To Apply
  1. Meet with your academic adviser to discuss your situation and the types of evidence you should submit to support your application. 
  2. Gather evidence of your situation. Your documentation should provide two things (1) evidence of your situation and (2) evidence of the amount of funding you need. For examples of possible documentation, please see below.
  3. Apply for emergency funding. 

Apply Now

After your application is complete, it will be considered by the college's leadership team. Awards are made at the discretion of the leadership team and based upon available funding. Funding will not exceed $1500. You will be notified of the committee's decision via your Husker email address. 

Examples of Documentation

This list provides examples of possible documentation that might be appropriate when submitting applications, waivers and appeals. The list is not exhaustive and alternative documentation may be appropriate depending on your circumstances.

Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their academic adviser to discuss their application and supporting evidence before submission.

Extenuating Circumstances Possible Documentation
Work-Related: Working full time before the semester began and required overtime, required schedule change.
  • Letter from employer including effective date(s) and whether the increase in hours was mandatory
Medical Condition: Serious illness, dental emergency, change in health status, surgery, hospitalization or mental health issue
  • Letter from health care provider/or other licensed professional with the advised period of recovery, dates of office visits
  • Doctor's office bill 
  • Pharmacy bill

Student's Immediate Family: Child or parent medical condition (if parent,
student needs to provide documentation that he/she was required to care for a parent).

  • Records from daycare/school that child was required to be kept home
  • Records from doctor visits
  • A letter stating doctor advised period of recovery
  • Hospitalization records
Unexpected Daycare Closure
  • Letter from daycare provider
Death of Family Member or Friend
  • Obituary or death certificate
  • Letter from counselor

Documentation should include date and indicate relationship to the deceased.

Housing Issues
  • Letter from resident director
  • Eviction notice
  • Letter from transitional housing program
  • Past due notice
Family Issues
  • Letter from therapist or other licensed professional
Assault or Domestic Violence
  • Police report
  • Court documentation
  • Letter from clergy, social worker, licensed professional or doctor
Car Issues
  • Police report
  • Repair estimate
Computer Issues
  • Repair/replacement estimate

The table above is not all inclusive. If you do not see your circumstance listed please still apply.

Contact your adviser with questions

Andrea Gaghagen portrait

Andrea Gaghagen
Assistant Director of Advising

Anne McCloskey portrait

Anne McConkey
Academic Adviser

Bridgett Grant portrait

Bridgett Grant
Academic Adviser

Karez Hassan portrait

Karez Hassan
Academic Adviser