Barney McCoy , M.A.
ProfessorBarney's blog Barney's Twitter page Barney's Facebook page Barney's LinkedIn page
Barney McCoy teaches multimedia, broadcast news and depth reporting courses. Before arriving at UNL, McCoy was a fulltime journalist and continues to contribute award winning news and documentary projects to news organizations across the country.
- McCoy’s documentary They Could Really Play the Game: Reloaded was selected by Canada International Film Festival judges as one of top 10 films in the 2015 documentary feature category, winning an Award of Excellence.
- McCoy was part of the KCTV (CBS) and Kansas City Star reporting team that produced an hour-long news special and the “City in Shock” website that commemorated the 30th anniversary of the Hyatt Regency skywalk collapse.
McCoy holds a master's degree in telecommunications management from Michigan State University and a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Kansas.
- McCoy has taught multimedia reporting courses at the Kosovo Institute of Journalism and Mass Communication in Pristina, Kosovo. He has produced and advised on four award-winning documentaries at UNL.
- McCoy has worked as a documentary director and producer, television and print news reporter, photographer, news producer and anchor. He has been employed by WIBW-TV, Topeka, Kan., KCTV, Kansas City, Mo., WKBD-TV, Detroit, Mich., WILX-TV, Lansing, Mich., and WBNS-TV, Columbus, Ohio. McCoy has also contributed his reporting for The Columbus Dispatch, Associated Press, CBS, CNN, Nebraska Educational Telecommunications and the Ohio News Network.
- McCoy has been honored with six Emmy awards, “Best of Competition” awards by the Broadcast Education Association and several other citations for journalistic excellence.