Sriyani Tidball awarded a Fulbright Specialist Grant
Sriyani Tidball awarded a Fulbright Specialist GrantTuesday, December 9, 2014 - 6:00pm
The Council for International Exchange of Scholars has awarded Sriyani Tidball a Fulbright Specialist grant. Tidball is an assistant professor of practice in advertising and public relations. She will serve as a communication specialist in communications and journalism with the Centre for Women’s Research in Sri Lanka beginning in January.
The Fulbright Specialist Program connects non-U.S. institutions overseas with the expertise of U.S. scholars and professionals. As a Fulbrighter, she will be joining the ranks of distinguished scholars and professionals worldwide who are leaders in the educational, political, economic, social, and cultural lives of their countries.
According to the CIES, “Tidball will have the opportunity to demonstrate the qualities of excellence and leadership that have been the hallmarks of this respected international academic exchange program founded in 1946 by the U.S. Government.”
Tidball will conduct needs assessment surveys and interview women going to the Middle East in order to formulate a communication strategy that will help Sri Lankan migrant workers, especially domestic workers, to stay in touch with their families, and in the worst-case deal with abuse. The Centre for Women’s Research focuses on policy and action-oriented research; information and communication; training and gender sensitization; and advocacy,lobbying and networking.
Fulbright Specialist grants range in duration from two to six weeks. Funding is shared between the U.S. Department of State and host institutions. The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs pays for the grantee’s international travel costs and provides a payment of $200 per grant day. The host institution usually offers to cover the cost of grantee housing, meals, and any necessary program-related in-country expenses. The U.S. government founded the international academic exchange program in 1946.