When I go to MyRed and try to register for a class, it tells me that no criteria can be found.
By default, MyRED only shows courses with space available. This means you'll have to contact the instructor to request an override into the class.

When you search for the class, uncheck the box, and then you can see the full classes, which will help you find out who the instructor is.

In MyRED the two classes I want to add have a blue square to the left of the class description.  Does that mean they are closed and will be reopened or that they are fulll?
It means they are closed because they are full. The instructor of the class may consider granting an override. That is whom you will need to contact.

I'm trying to find a particular special topics course (491), but I can't find it in MyRED.
By default, MyRED only shows the first three sections of any given class. Click on View All Sections to reveal sections 4 through 8.

Special Topics screen grab

Foreign Language Requirement:

Can I take sign language for the foreign language requirement?
No. CoJMC faculty have not accepted sign language for the foreign language requirement because it lacks the literature and the grammar found in regular foreign language programs.

Some students take two semesters of Spanish and two of another language to meet the four-semester foreign language requirement. Can CoJMC students do that?
Arts and Sciences majors can do that, but CoJMC majors cannot. All our programs require completion of the fourth-semester level, which usually is the 202 course or the 210 course. (In French, German and Spanish, 210 is a six-credit course that combines the material in 201 and 202, which are each three semester hours. The 210 course is a six-credit course meeting five days a week, so its advantage is that it takes only one semester to complete the requirement instead of two.

I have all the hours complete for a Spanish concentration, but what are the requirements for a Spanish minor?
The 12 hours of the Spanish concentration typically include Span 203, 204 and six hours of 300-level courses. A Spanish minor is six hours of specified Spanish courses beyond Span 303 and 304â??12 hours of 300-level courses in total. Details on the Spanish minor can be found in the Arts and Sciences section of the Undergraduate Bulletin, .

Can I take my Spanish classis P/N?
Yes, you can take anything P/N up to a maximum of 24 hours, unless the home department prohibits the P/N option. Courses in your CoJMC major are grade only, unless P/N is specifically indicated in the Undergraduate Bulletin: , and UNL’s Economics department prohibits the P/N option. In some other majors and minors there are limits to how many hours P/N may be allowed. If you’re completing an English minor, for example, see the rules for the English major and minor in the Arts and Sciences section of the Undergraduate Bulletin. (There, the bulletin notes, “A student may apply up to 6 hours of Pass/No Pass credit toward a major in English without securing permission; and a student may apply up to 6 hours of Pass/No Pass credit toward a minor in English.”)

Probation Status:

My overall GPA is above 2.0, so why did I get a letter saying I’m on academic probation?
The two gpa's, one 1.924 and the other, 2.306, are semester and cumulative respectively.

If either is under 2.0, it generates probation status. If both are 2.0 or higher at the end of the next term, you get removed from probation. If you get probation three terms in a row, you get dismissed from the University. (Sometimes dismissal happens sooner, if your GPA is particularly low.) When you're on probation, you can't take P/N classes.

If you think the grade is incorrect, get in touch with the instructor. The instructor is the only person who can change it.


What is the difference between MATH 203 and MATH 203J?
The 203J section has you work with problems that relate to Journalismâ??the kinds of problems journalists actually use math to solve.

First-year students may enroll in MATH 203J, but sophomore standing is required for enrollment in the regular MATH 203 sections.

Grades needed for graduation:

I got a C in journalism 487. Is that a good enough grade for me as a advertising student?
No grade below C counts in a major, minor or concentration. Other general-education requirements may be completed with a passing grade lower than C. All students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 for graduation.

Transfer credit:

Will Spanish 2120 from Metro Community College meet the language requirement for CoJMC?
See the Transfer Equivalency tables at
There, you can look up courses from other schools to see if they have a direct equivalency to a UNL course. If you see a number from the other school and it corresponds to a UNL number, that means the transfer course counts exactly as if you had taken the UNL course.

This is what an SCC listing for Econ courses looks like:

SCC listing screen grab

Credit hours don't look right:

I noticed that for the Jour 491 classes, their credit hours vary from between 1 to 4 at sign-up. Is it possible to take a 4 credit-hour version of the class (specifically either developing new media or public affairs reporting)? If so, that would solve my missing upper-level credit hour problem. Would I speak with the professor about that directly?
Discuss with the instructor what you might do to earn one extra hour of credit.

Declaring Second Major:

I filled out a form that looks like this to declare a second major in Art, but it has not shown up in MyRED. Why not?
In order to declare a 2nd major OUTSIDE the college, you have two options: DUAL MATRICULATION or the InterCollege Studies form.

CDMA Change Form

The CDMA form (above) that you used is only for adding a second major that is in the SAME college as your primary major. So, if you’re a Broadcasting major, you could use that form to add Advertising and Public Relations or Journalism as a second major.

To add a major outside the college, the ICS plan allows you to complete both majors as a four-year program. Then you receive one degree from this college, but both majors are recorded on your transcript.

Students who actually want the second degree complete the Dual Matriculation form. They are then locked into a fifth year (155 total hours) and graduate with two separate degrees.


If I have a second major, is it true that I only need to complete one 12-hour concentration?
If the second major is OUTSIDE CoJMC, it will take the place of two 12-hour concentrations.
A second major inside CoJMC (like Journalism + Advertising and Public Relations) would NOT take the place of any concentrations. OUTSIDE the college is the operative phrase.

What is the difference between a minor and a concentration? Do people look at minors and concentrations differently?
Concentrations are 12 hours from the same department, with no more than six of those hours at the 100 level. Minors are specified by the home department. Some minors are 12 hours, but some are 18. A few are 15 hours.

Most people probably won’t care whether you completed minors or concentrations. The main difference is that minors are recorded on your transcript, if that matters to you. Concentrations are not recorded on transcripts.