Andersen Hall is named after Harold and Marian Andersen whose gifts and support have provided many students with opportunities for education and access to state-of-the-art resources.
Graduates of UNL, the Andersens have continued to contribute to the university as alumni, donors and heralds for community service. They have been recognized for their efforts and achievements not only in Nebraska but also around the world.
Harold Andersen has spent his life in an unrelenting quest to see a free press established globally and has affected political and governmental decision-making worldwide. He began working for the Omaha World-Herald in 1946 as a reporter, became assistant to the managing editor in 1958, then served successively as assistant to the president, vice president and business manager. He served as president from 1966 until 1986 and then as publisher from 1986 to 1989.
Mr. Andersen was the first American to serve as president of the International Federation of Newspaper Publishers and is the only Nebraskan to be chair and president of the American Newspaper Publishers Association. He served as a director of the Associated Press and chaired its Foreign Operations Committee and served as chairman of the World Press Freedom committee
Marian Andersen became the first woman to head the Heartland Chapter of the American Red Cross and later served as vice chairman for the American Red Cross Board of Governors. She also served as a vice chairman of The Public Broadcasting System. Marian Andersen has received numerous honors including: the United Way Citizen of the Year; the YWCA Tribute to Women; Outstanding Alumna of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority; Outstanding Sustainer of the Junior League of Omaha; the Perry Branch Award from the NU Foundation; and the Nebraska Builders Award from the NU system in 1987. She has co-chaired the Nebraska Shakespeare Festival and the Alexis de Toqueville Society of the United Way of the Midlands and served on the board of Nebraska Arts Council, Opera Omaha, YWCA and the Nebraska State Historical Society.