Items Required by Office of Graduate Studies
Items Required by Journalism and Mass Communications in GAMES
After you apply, allow one business day for us to establish your access to GAMES, our online application system, where you will complete these departmental requirements:
- Entrance exam(s): GRE
- Media Studies Specialization only
- GRE not required for the Integrated Media Communications or Professional Journalism Specializations
- Competitive Score: Upper half of percentile range on verbal section and 4.0 on analytical writing
- Minimum English proficiency: TOEFL Paper-600, Computer-250, Internet-100 or ILETS 6.5
- Three letters of recommendation—At least two (2) should be academic references
- Statement of goals and objectives
- Portfolio of work
- *Note: ALL work must be submitted electronically through GAMES
Application Deadlines: February 1 for Fall and September 1 for Spring
To send your GRE and TOEFL scores to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln use the institution code 6877.
Graduate students will receive a letter of acceptance into the master's program in Journalism and Mass Communications from the Graduate Chair and a certificate of admission from the Graduate Admissions office.
Before First Semester
- Students will receive a letter with the name of their advisor from the Graduate Chair
- Students should schedule a meeting with their advisor to discuss first semester classes.
- Meet with your advisor and complete your Memorandum of Courses.
- Discuss ideas for your professional project or thesis, if applicable.
After First Semester
Consult your advisor before course registration each semester. When you are ready to begin your professional project or thesis, if applicable, talk to your advisor about potential committee members.